Saturday, June 16, 2012

Simple Strawberry-Orange Smoothie

This is one of my favorite breakfast treats, and it couldn't be easier to make.


Simply add 5-6 frozen strawberries and 8 oz of orange juice to a blender. Blend until smooth. The end result is both sweet and tart, frosty, and light. You can buy frozen strawberries at the store, but making them yourself is a great way to get the most out of a fresh basket. I buy three pints of fresh strawberries each week at the farmer's market, and when one starts getting soft, or weird enough that I don't really want to eat it raw, I hull it and pop it into a container in the freezer. By the end of the week, I have enough to make a Saturday smoothie.

Last night for dinner I made veggie fajitas for one (Nate is in Spain!)

Lots of colorful, fresh ingredients.

I didn't really use a recipe. Just saute 1/2 red onion, 3 minced cloves of garlic, and 1 diced jalapeno until soft. Then crank up the heat and add 1 bell pepper cut into strips, 3 chopped scallions (white/light green parts only), and 2 summer squash cut into half-moons. Add some cumin, paprika, oregano, salt + pepper to taste. Cook until the veggie are a little browned on the edges and the bell pepper is tender. 

Serve with freshly sliced tomato, whole wheat tortillas or wraps, Monterrey jack cheese, and salsa. 

The best part of it all?


I had lots of help!

Stay tuned for homemade white pizza with summer squash, zucchini, and garlic, followed by a clafoutis (gotta make something while cherries are still in season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest