Monday, August 27, 2012

Asparagus and Red Corn Salad


My friend Dave came over for dinner on Saturday. I didn't want to use the oven at all, so I decided to make a couple of cold sides to accompany a main dish that could be cooked on the stove top.



We were completely out of vegetables, so I walked down to Whole Foods to see what they had. As soon as I saw the red corn, I knew I needed to get it! The white asparagus looked tender and creamy, and I love regular green asparagus. I decided I would make a salad out of these ingredients, and when I got home I found a recipe to work off of.

The salad is refreshing, slightly tangy, and just a little bit sweet.

Asparagus and Red Corn Salad

Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing: White wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.

Snap the woody ends off the asparagus, then cut into rounds.


Add to the bowl with the dressing. Then, cut the corn from the cob.


Add the corn to the bowl with the asparagus. Chop 1/2 red onion and add to the other ingredients.

Add about 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese to the salad, toss the ingredients together, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours so the flavors have a chance to meld.



Ingredients:
1/4 C White Wine Vinegar
1/3 C Olive Oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Honey
Salt and Pepper

6 stalks each of white asparagus and green asparagus
1 ear of red corn, cut from the cob
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Chop the asparagus into thin rounds, then add all vegetables and cheese to the dressing. Toss ingredients with dressing; let chill for 1-2 hours. Sprinkle with more cheese before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest