Thursday, January 16, 2014

Vegan "Eggnog" Pancakes



Before I was vegan I was famous (to Nate, at least!) for my fluffy, tender pancakes. I first made them when we lived in a horrible basement studio apartment in a probably haunted building in a shady neighborhood in Boston, but it was our first time with our own kitchen and I developed a lot of my cooking skills there.

After becoming vegan, I wanted to find a pancake recipe that was just as delicious as the one I'd been using for years. During the holidays, I also bought every brand of vegan "Eggnog" I could find. They were all delicious! I decided that vegan "Eggnog" pancakes would be the perfect festive treat for breakfast one weekend.


Luckily I found the recipe for Puffy Pillow Pancakes on Post Punk Kitchen, one of my favorite vegan food blogs. With a few modifications, I had a pancake recipe that Nate declared was even better than my non-vegan version.

These vegan eggnog pancakes are light, fluffy, lightly sweet and kissed with holiday spice. Serve with real maple syrup or pumpkin butter for a truly decadent breakfast.

Vegan Eggnog Pancakes
Serves 3-4

Ingredients

1 Cup unbleached flour
1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 Cup vegan eggnog (I like coconut-milk based 'nog)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 T ground flax seed
1/2 Cup water
2 T canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a small bowl mix together vegan eggnog and vinegar.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
3. Whisk ground flax seed into the milk/vinegar mixture until frothy.
4. Mix water, oil and vanilla into the milk mixture.
5. Add all wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. There will be a few lumps but don't mix too much or the pancakes will be tough and not as fluffy.
6. Let the batter rest while getting your pan ready. Add some oil to a pan and bring it up to medium heat.
7. Add 1/4 cup batter to the pan, flipping once the edges get a little dry and the pancake rises. Flip and cook for another couple of minutes. Depending on your stove top and your pan you'll probably have to adjust the heat until you get the temperature just right - the pancakes should be lightly golden on each side.
8. Serve pancakes with real maple syrup, pumpkin butter, jam, or any of your favorite toppings.

oh so fluffy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest