Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beef Roulade with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Tapenade

I made this rather fancy dish on a whim. I had a big piece of discount beef (yum?) and a bunch of leftovers from Tapas Sunday, and I decided that beef stuffed with tapenade, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and lots of garlic actually sounded really good.

It was kind of a hilarious weeknight dinner...it felt like something someone in the 1950's would have served at a dinner party. But, the whole dish was actually pretty simple to make, and it came out really well  the cheap cut of beef ended up being really tender thanks to a low and slow braise. 

The pictures are kind of all over the place in terms of quality  my flash works TOO well, and without it, everything is grainy and golden. Bear with me as I learn to work out these lighting kinks!

First, I butterflied the 1lb steak, then pounded it until it was about 1/2 inch thick. The beef was seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper.
In a medium sized bowl, I mixed together 1/2 cup tapenade, 1/4 c chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 1/4 chopped fresh basil, and four cloves of garlic, minced. I spread this mixture on the meat, leaving about a 1/2 inch border.
I rolled the beef up into a tight log, and secured it using a length of kitchen twine.
Then, I heated up some olive oil in a large pan. Once the oil was hot, I browned the beef on all sides (about 2 minutes per side), adding 1/2 of a chopped yellow onion to the pan while the last side of the beef roulade was browning. When the beef was done browning, I added about 1 cup of chicken stock to the pan (I would have used beef, but chicken was what I had on hand, and it still tasted great) and scraped up the brown bits from the bottom. I also added a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce to the braising liquid.
Turning the heat to very low, I covered the pan and let the beef roulade cook for two hours at a gentle simmer, occasionally turning the roulade and basting it. When the meat was tender, I removed it from the pan, then turned up the heat and cooked the pan juices and onion until they were thickened.
After the meat rested for 10 minutes, I cut it into 1/2 inch thick slices and served it covered in the pan gravy, with some asparagus and snow peas on the side.

Bon appetit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest