Sunday, September 9, 2012

Miscellaneous Food Stuffs

Sometimes, I make something or eat something that is really, really good - but I wasn't planning on blogging about it. I often manage to snap a picture or two, and I wanted to share with you some of the tasty morsels I've had but haven't written a full blog post about.



Mom's Kale Soup

I dream about this soup. A rich spicy broth, kale, Portugese chouriço, potatoes, cabbage, and lots of secret Mom spices. This is a magical soup, and my mom made sure to have some waiting for me the last time I was at home!

 Homemade White Bread

This bread (Rosebud's Butter Topped White Bread) comes out perfectly every single time. I make two loaves and freeze one. I mostly make this in winter when it's chilly and I want some really simple comfort food. I haven't been eating as much bread as I used to, especially white bread, but WOW...this recipe can't be beat.
 Perfect with butter, toasted or piping hot from the oven. 

This was one of the best pizzas I've ever made. Homemade purple basil pesto, slow-roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, summer squash, feta and mozzarella cheese, on homemade pizza dough. 

I made this butterscotch puddin' pie on a whim for Nate...IT WAS AMAZING. Butterscotch pudding from scratch is officially my favorite pudding. 

Tortellini salad for a beach picnic with cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, and homemade basil-kale-toasted almond pesto. 

Broiled prosciutto-wrapped figs with Parmesan curls, drizzled with honey

Last but not least...with the tomatoes left over from last week's home canning adventure, I made Marcella Hazan's famous tomato sauce, added some fresh basil, and served it with buccatini (spaghetti with a hole in the middle) and a "light" chicken Parmesan (sauteed chicken breast with melted provolone, not breaded and fried.) This is the second time I've made this sauce with freshly-picked Roma tomatoes, and it is so simple, smooth, and elegant. One of my favorites. 


Stayed tuned for my next post: Orange-Soy-Ginger marinated chicken and Honey-Soy marinated steak on the barbecue, with grilled summer squash as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest